Cumbria Mariners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking a break from training

+10
J36
Dan #11
Hoggy
Steve OTT #40
rico
Nellie
cumbriandave32
dave72
Paddy
Marcus
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taking a break from training Empty Taking a break from training

Post  Marcus Sat May 03, 2008 10:12 am

Sadly, after monday, I've come to the reluctant decision to step aside from training for a while.

On monday's session, I had slight heart pains after the running, but above all, my knees took a pounding (through just general running, not collisions) and my feet have taken ages to reduce in swelling for a while.

When I had a checkup shortly after moving here, I was found to be around 26 stone (364lbs/165 kg), a BMI for my height of 41, well into the mobidly-obese catagory and they've basically told me I have to lose weight (and I agree).

I've started a diet and will hopefully return later this year, or early next, a lot lighter and less prone to injury and able to enjoy it more - 26 stone on 1 set of knees makes for a very painful experience when you're having to run and block bent-kneed like you have to in the lines and not being able to even put my boots on after a training session is, quite frankly, pissing me off - I hate doing something half-cock like I am having to atm.

If you need me for any reason, please yell (need a club ref or a chain gang?) and I'll stay in touch on here if I'm allowed and if a lift is there, I'll still come along to watch you guys (for one thing, it'll help me stick to the diet - seeing what I'm missing out on).

Believe me guys... this decision is a hard one for me - I've waited 19 years to play - another few months won't hurt me, while the alternative might. Sad

And before someone says it, I know that it'll get easier with training... I know, but I don't know if the body could take it... if I was some 5 stone lighter, I'd be sticking it out, but... Sad
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty Re: Taking a break from training

Post  Paddy Sat May 03, 2008 11:36 am

The thing with training is that you only get out, what you put in.

You can't press a magic button and get fit, you have to work at it and it takes time.

It is very hard, and takes a lot of work but its worth it in the long haul.

Is will hurt like hell, but I personally think a commitment to training is the best way to loose weight and get fit.
Paddy
Paddy
Admin

http://www.cumbriamariners.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  dave72 Sat May 03, 2008 12:44 pm

i agree with paddy when i started in october i was 18+ stone elephant ive now dropped a stone but ive gained muscle and feel so much fitter and enjoy pushing to get fitter and stronger

you need to work at it doesnt just happen by eaten a apple instead of a kebab Twisted Evil

how about swapping your pc for a nintendo wii and get wii fit

dave72

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Sat May 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I agree that commitment is best, but my gout problems are preventing me from training full-time and I'm a lot more active lately than I have been in the past - mainly DIY around the house and hauling boxes of books around as I try to find stuff... but I'm more concerned about damage to knees and ankles than anything else, simply through my trying to run while too heavy.

When I started my jujitsu all those years ago, I was 18.5 stone and that was hard going, but I feel a lot heavier now than I did back then and my knees know it. I'm double what the doc reckons is my ideal weight (13 stone) so I'm hopefully going to shed a few before rejoining. It's that or face possible injuries later when I'm needed for a game and I've wrecked the cartilage or joints.

As for putting it in, I do all I can during a session and then some... and enjoy it. I just don't enjoy the painful and swollen feet/knees or the clicking joints afterwards. Bruises and cuts I don't mind... but when I can't walk the next day, it's not so good.

Like I said, I hope to be back in training ASAP... and I'll be hitting the gym just as soon as I can afford it... Sad
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty Marcus

Post  cumbriandave32 Sat May 03, 2008 3:40 pm

i cant speak for the gout, nor the heart pains, but for fittness maybe

even if you loose 6 stone and come back next year youll still have to start from where you are now,
Put yourself realistic targets, You shouldnt feel like youd be letting the side down if you dont complete everything we set infront of you. Im more impressed by the guy who turns up to training and enjoys it.

Theres nothing worse than getting fit and you will feel pains and aches. and mentally feel down and drained,
I know i was the last one round the running track when i played Rugby league
The thing is youve made progress, those pains you got now will still have to be faced again if you quit, pick your self up dust yer self down and dont accept defeat
start slower you did remarkably well finishing the laps and doing all but a few plays, just build yourself up slower, be honest with yourself do what you find comfortable at first and slowly increase the barrier
In this game id rather play alongside a guy who goes all out for the 1 play hes on, than a guy who coasts for the rest

cumbriandave32

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty that BMi is bollocks

Post  cumbriandave32 Sat May 03, 2008 3:55 pm

dude i was 13 stone when i was 13 years old im obese too im 5'10 i was 17.5 stone when i strted in jan and im 16.5 stone now they reckon i should be 11 stone wtf, id look like i got hiv! and i reckon im dam fine now just wait till this little bod gets on those gran canarian beeches oh baby, although i cant get jeans in Next 38 short isnt done short little jack russell legs

cumbriandave32

Back to top Go down

Post  Paddy Sun May 04, 2008 2:34 am

Dave,

I think your Dam Fine now too Wink
Paddy
Paddy
Admin

http://www.cumbriamariners.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nellie Sun May 04, 2008 4:55 am

Paddy wrote:The thing with training is that you only get out, what you put in.

You can't press a magic button and get fit, you have to work at it and it takes time.

It is very hard, and takes a lot of work but its worth it in the long haul.

Is will hurt like hell, but I personally think a commitment to training is the best way to loose weight and get fit.

dude this really sums it up. I hear you with the heart thing, but remeber physical fitness has a shelf live like milk, if you don't kee. I am diffenitely feeling that having been laid up now for 4+ weeks and I still have 3-4 to go before I can walk again. Then I have 2-3 MONTHS of physio to get the joint back to fitness.
Nellie
Nellie

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty !forget about the weight!

Post  rico Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 am

Hi noony.
Its reece i only known you a couple of weeks but i think you are spot on and sad to hear you not be at training. on the weight subject i'm in the same boat i weigh 21 stone at mo and thats the main reason behind me giving american football a go to try to lose some weight . beats sitting watching telly anyway. I think the best thing you can do is come along to training when you can and just do a few stretches here and there walk round the pitch whatever you can manage at end of the day your heart will get better the more you train as you will know it just the strain on yur heart from the weight trust me i know it kills me everytime we run round the pitch 1st week i was knackered after 1 lap 2nd week we did 2 and i coped (just about) after all you got alot of people that will help you at training and youll still be able to be involved. Forget about the weight just do what you can and it will eventually pay off pal
All the best
Hope to see you at training soon
reece
rico
rico

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve OTT #40 Tue May 06, 2008 1:18 am

The pain you feel in your chest is your body telling you that its working harder than normal, the only way to stop this pain is to push a little more each time to condition your organs or be a PUSSY and stop training and die in a armchair 20 years from now after getting the same pain just walking from the kitchen to the livingroom. Evil or Very Mad

Your choice but I would say choose LIFE

STAY WITH THE PROGRAM. Laughing
Steve OTT #40
Steve OTT #40

Back to top Go down

Post  Nellie Tue May 06, 2008 2:43 am

Steve OTT #40 wrote:The pain you feel in your chest is your body telling you that its working harder than normal, the only way to stop this pain is to push a little more each time to condition your organs or be a PUSSY and stop training and die in a armchair 20 years from now after getting the same pain just walking from the kitchen to the livingroom. Evil or Very Mad

Your choice but I would say choose LIFE

STAY WITH THE PROGRAM. Laughing

Marcus the dude has a point. Very Happy
Nellie
Nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggy Tue May 06, 2008 11:55 am

Marcus, I'm telling you your not quitting!!!!! I will pick you up on monday!
Hoggy
Hoggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggy Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Also, If we do have a game coming up in june then you will want to be the fittest you can be, and not being knackered during the game, you have waited 19yrs for this bud, take this opportunity to show us what you can do! see you monday then yes?
Hoggy
Hoggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan #11 Wed May 07, 2008 1:29 am

You can't argue with him. He is the law
Dan #11
Dan #11

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

Hoggy wrote:Also, If we do have a game coming up in june then you will want to be the fittest you can be, and not being knackered during the game, you have waited 19yrs for this bud, take this opportunity to show us what you can do! see you monday then yes?

I've not yet found the cash for the registration, so I'd be missing it anyhow most likely.

And I've been waiting 19 years, 'tis true... so will a couple of months really matter so much to me?

BTW good news - down to 24 stone 11 lbs in a month (only partly spent on the current diet regime), so things are looking good on that front.

BTW guys, calling me names just makes me more determined to stick to the path I've chosen, not less... I've been described in the past as a typical Taurean, even though I don't believe in such things, I have to admit, I'm as stubborn as a bull. Some may say (eg Steve) that I'm full of Bull too... Very Happy
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 am

Just to add - I may not be training with you guys, but I *am* training every day with squats (gotta build up leg muscles - my gout attacks have crippled them compared to what they used to be) and walking so far. When I'm light enough, I'll be jogging instead, but jogging on tarmac or hard grass at my weight would kill my knees. Oh and pushups... god I hate pushups, but I'm doing them now I have room.

Couldn't do them before in my room because of the boxes... and couldn't do them in a corridor, since as soon as you lie down and the dogs find out, they like to know WHY you're down there... and there's nothing like a dog stuffing it's nose into your face as you're half way through a pushup to put you off. Smile
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty go for it

Post  J36 Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 am

good luck with it marcus.

do not give up and stick with it.

In the mean time be no stranger, here or at training.

stick with it and progress.

Come down once a week or so, for the 'craic', maybe even do the warm ups.

Feel part of the team, it will help drive you on.

Just avoid the conatct and running until your weight is down a bit.

I know what its like, I hate going to training if I cant train. It does me nut in. I wanna join in and would be too tempted too and would end up making injurie/s even worse.

There will be stuff you can do and learn and keep up with defensive and offensive stratergies.

as I say, even just come once a fortnight, let us know how your getting on.

Good luck and get yourself going in the right direction and be no stranger. Your a mariner now, part of our team how ever large or small a part you can be at the moment, still come down and do what you can do. Even just now and then.

Until your weight drops.

Really not trying to be cheeky but,

If you want advice on diet and exercise,

give me a shout, what I dont know I can find out. In my time I have been 18 stone and have just lost 1/2 stone in the last 2 weeks. Been down this road too many times.

good luck and just because you cant train fully at the moment doesn't mean you have to be a complete stranger mate.

all the best and get too it noony.

J36
J36
J36

http://www.clanram.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 10:25 am

thanks m8...

Just got back from walking around thornhill with the dog and I did a length and a half jogging up and down the football pitch (and it's damned hot out there still).

You're right - I should still turn up to keep in touch. I think, having spoken on the level to Steve, I'll be along on monday to train with you guys for the whole evening, but I'll be taking it fairly easy for the first few sessions. I would be asking Hoggy for a lift tomorrow, but it's my 35th and I intend to break my diet slightly for just the one night (up to the normal 2500 if need be). After all, if you can't spoil yourself on your birthday, when can you? Smile

I wasn't going to tell you guys, but this is why I never intended to be along tomorrow... that and Steve scares me... pale
I think I may live to regret that last one... lol!

Edit:
I was also thinking while out - another reason why I got to thinking about my own health was the spate of injuries recently and that a heart attack probably wouldn't help any insurance policy we tried to take out... not to mention wouldn't help me much.

But, as they say, face your fears and overcome (or work around) them.
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty wen did u start training?

Post  butch 69 Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 am

u have got to start befor u can take a braek m8 lmao Evil or Very Mad
butch 69
butch 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 pm

That's ok Butch... keep going the way you are, you'll be having gout problems in 10 to 15 years' time too... and then we'll see how well you train when you can't even stand up... Smile

When I was your age, I was walking 3 miles each way into town and doing kickboxing once a week and weights 3 times a week (walking to and from too). I wasn't what I'd class "fit" but I was a hell of a lot better than I am now... and I've been teetotal (or close to) since my teens.
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  butch 69 Wed May 07, 2008 12:12 pm

butch 69 wrote:u have got to start befor u can take a braek m8 lmao Evil or Very Mad
hope u can handle dat comment Very Happy n dont wanna quit dude get bk soon m8
butch 69
butch 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 12:14 pm

I can handle it... but suddenly I want to be swapping with Marco and hope someone calls the wedge... oh esteemed nose tackle... Twisted Evil
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty i dont mind m8

Post  butch 69 Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm

u can swap if u want i could do wid someone who can put up a fight Laughing
butch 69
butch 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Wed May 07, 2008 12:19 pm

So am I... that's why I'm too reluctant to stop facing marco and craig... Laughing
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from training Empty scared of ott

Post  dave72 Wed May 07, 2008 1:21 pm

why would steve scare you Twisted Evil you play on the Mariners D-line no one should scare you

besides while your worrying bout steve Suspect tommy blindsides you Suspect

anyway enuff with the talk matey

ignore the voices marcus................ pasties are not evil...the've got veggies in them

tongue Rolling Eyes Wink Razz Laughing king queen jocolor geek scratch

dave72

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next