Cumbria Mariners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alright guys!

+5
dave72
cumbriandave32
sonofmatt
butch 69
Hoggy
9 posters

Go down

alright guys! Empty alright guys!

Post  Hoggy Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:10 am

Dan you were right i've broken my index finger, so i won't be at training for a few weeks. hopefully it should be ok in a few weeks to start training again. I also agree with training on sundays for a few good hours, we should also play a game amongst ourselves again like we did before o line against d line, but we hit properly just like in a game. see you all soon dudes. heads up, i was dissapointed yesterday but we will get better in time.
Hoggy
Hoggy

Back to top Go down

alright guys! Empty Re: alright guys!

Post  butch 69 Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:11 pm

. I also agree with training on sundays for a few good hours, we should also play a game amongst ourselves again like we did before o line against d line, but we hit properly just like in a game.

i agree we need to do that a lot more because it wil make us beter
butch 69
butch 69

Back to top Go down

alright guys! Empty Give it time

Post  sonofmatt Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Guys .
Thanks for the game on Sat .We relly enjoyed it just a pity it was cut short.
Anyway what I wanted to say was stop beating yourselves up about it .You are a brand new squad and for the lack of players who have played before did a really well.
We had at least 12 players with 2 years and over playing time under their belt so we would have excpected to beat you.
Your linemen are physical and with just a little more work will be a really good line .
Skill positions is what you need like somebody to spell Rodger.Paddy was really unlucky and a big loss to your team and I am lead to believe you were missing a few others .All in all well done.
Paddy is correct you need guys at training even when injured to keep improving .As for going full tilt against your own guys you need to watch out for silly injuries,You would be better going to thud but not taking the player down.
Good luck guys
Mac

sonofmatt

Back to top Go down

alright guys! Empty thanks

Post  cumbriandave32 Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 am

cheers mac were stronger for it now cant wait to get back at it

Last edited by davebailiff on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not funny)

cumbriandave32

Back to top Go down

Post  dave72 Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:20 am

butch 69 wrote:. I also agree with training on sundays for a few good hours, we should also play a game amongst ourselves again like we did before o line against d line, but we hit properly just like in a game.

i dont agree, i think we should drill drill drill and get our technique right christ i missed more blocks than i made (hence dan on is arse alot)
knockin the shit outa each other is fun but all its got us is 30-0 34-0

dave72

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 am

Actually I agree with Dave - Drills should be most of it and Matt's suggestion is a good one about stopping short of tackles but everything else full on when we do play.

(Edited a whole load of stuff it wasn't my place to suggest).
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Spike 60 Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:55 am

Marcus Noon (#40, DL) wrote:Actually I agree with Dave - Drills should be most of it and Matt's suggestion is a good one about stopping short of tackles but everything else full on when we do play.

(Edited a whole load of stuff it wasn't my place to suggest).

He didn't say "stopping short of tackles", he said "going to thud"

Spike 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Spike: I read that as in "bang them on the shoulders or similar and stop short of actually tackling them to the ground"?

Was I wrong there? (If so, what DOES "going to thud" mean?)
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Spike 60 Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes, it's not taking the man to the ground, correct.
Full contact blocking and good form tackling with a hit and wrap up.
Still got to tackle properly though, just stop at the point when you're about to drive your man into the dirt .
Avoids injuries and also speeds up practice time because you're not untangling all those mangled bodies after every play.
To be honest i think we really need to work on our form tackling and also form blocking.
And to learn plays, "and i mean like run them a 1000 times each", then we need the bodies at practice.
Hey ho, "people at practice", anyone else noticing a theme here?

Spike 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Spike: Ah ok, gotcha... more realistic than the "tag" we used during light contact, I'll admit. I'll chalk that up to another learning experience then. One question - are you still allowed to tackle if they persist in continuing to drive while you have them in a position where you CAN take them down? Also, QB: Do we treat them the same or go easy on them and just tag when pass rushing? Considering they tend to get launched at rather than just tackled? Only reason I ask is that it might make the difference between them getting the pass off or not and I've only just learned the concept. Smile

And yeah... I have to, unfortunately, agree... repetition is boring, but essential. Martial arts use repetition to make sure everything - arms, legs, head etc is all in the right place when you need to do it for real and, essentially, we are the arms, legs, head of our team, so we all need to learn where we need to be and when.

I'd also request some linemen drills to help us to learn how and when to penetrate the line and get us some practice in spotting fakes... I fell for a fake (hook, line and sinker) in that game and only found out just when I was about to wrap him up... lucky I spotted it before I went for the tackle or it would have been a penalty. Embarassed

Having some tuition for us DT might help us too - the session before the match helped a bit (did we have any defensive false starts (encroachments) during the game?), but help with posture and practice in getting through the line might help us without having to worry about any particular play. Maybe you did this before I joined or during one of the sessions I couldn't make it, but I'd certainly appreciate the help. Steve's brief (yelled, mainly at me) advice a week or two ago helped a bit, but I could use more of that (hey us "country bumpkins" are slow to learn Wink) if possible.
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  jaap Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:17 pm

[quote="sonofmatt"].As for going full tilt against your own guys you need to watch out for silly injuries,You would be better going to thud but not taking the player down.

Tell me about it, that was fucking hard watching and not playing...Dan this wolfboy is crying!!!!
jaap
jaap

Back to top Go down

Post  Pablo Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Yeah, thanks for a great day and a great game lads. I enjoyed bashing into Butch and getting nowhere!

Pablo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down