Cumbria Mariners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kicker?

+3
Paddy
Marcus
jaap
7 posters

Go down

kicker? Empty kicker?

Post  jaap Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Have we got a kicker? If not I'll give it a go cos my soccer team mates will confirm that I'm shithot at putting over the bar!
jaap
jaap

Back to top Go down

kicker? Empty Re: kicker?

Post  Marcus Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Hehe

Might be an idea to try people out when they turn up and see if they can hit a target placed downfield.

The number of linemen you guys seem to have, I was thinking about resigning myself to being a punter... that or the waterboy... Laughing

Seriously, usually you want someone for the kicker who's good at kicking and can catch (I've seen two many fumbled snaps to convince me otherwise). For the placekicker, I'd look around for someone who was good at rugby spot kicks at school but doesn't like the physical aspect.

The kick holder, incidently, should possibly be a decent quarterback so we can do fake fieldgoals as an option - doesn't have to be great, but able to catch well (don't want that snap fumbled), good awareness (those defensive guys are going to be coming in hard) and a half-way decent arm* might get the team out of trouble once in a while - might be best to find someone who can catch well and place the ball well and then teach them to throw than the other way around.

You seem to have the catching down, since you're down as a WR, but in a kick, it's usually customary to have a pair of WR ready to catch the ball in the case of a stunt play, isn't it? Wouldn't you be needed there? I would suggest a RB would be a good choice for a kicker so he could help to block in the case of a faked FG.

BTW if anyone has any pointers on lineman drill, please let me know... although, to be honest, I doubt if I'll make the team - you seem to have all the DL/OL covered atm.

* (will need to reach the 10-yard marker, preferably while not getting intercepted, although since it'll be 4th down, this is less important)
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paddy Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14 am

Once we get closer to a game we will let people have tryouts at Kicker.

For kick off - Who can kick it furthest and keep it in bounds

Punt - Who can kick it furthest

FG - Need to be a little more accurate, but effectively who can kick it furthest.
Paddy
Paddy
Admin

http://www.cumbriamariners.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jaap Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:49 am

It was just a thought and to be honest the way my soccer seasons going it would be a bad idea cos at the moment I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat
jaap
jaap

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Jaap: hey, didn't mean to discourage you... and with your speed, you might be excellent for the kickoffs.

I know I used to have half-way decent range, but my accuracy sucked big time when I punted and that was around 20 years ago... a punter (ideally) can put the punt out of bounds just inside the 5 or 10 yard line if he's in range to pin the opposition close to their own goal line and not give them a chance to run it back. Too far one way and you give them 20 yards for free - too far the other and you waste range and not far enough over and you give them the chance to run it back.

Thinking about it, I don't know if I could live with being a kicker either - too much stress when the team's down by 1 pt or something like.

Come to think of it... *goes to check on prices of concessions* anyone for a red-hot?
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  jaap Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Marcus you haven't discouraged mate so no worries there...and also when you mention speed well I'll let you be the judge of that when you're up here (lol)
jaap
jaap

Back to top Go down

kicker? Empty Cant kick

Post  cumbriandave32 Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Nuff said id toe poke it back up the centers affraid

cumbriandave32

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:04 pm

ROFL I'd love to see that from the Tackles' point of view... Smile

Wonder if his eyes would bulge beyond his mask?
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan #11 Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:39 am

What's a Red-Hot? Sounds flithy.
Dan #11
Dan #11

Back to top Go down

Post  marco64 Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:31 am

i know a lad who is trying to become LSU's kicker! he wants to train with us in the summer.
marco64
marco64

Back to top Go down

Post  Nellie Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:58 am

Paul was giving it a go when we were at Lillyhall. Like Paddy said we could worry about that closer to a game.

I think that we need to get a coach and some more suited players.
Nellie
Nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcus Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am

jeez... a red-hot is a hot-dog and about as obscene as you wish to make it - although I'd suggest doing anything too bad in private in case someone happens to have a camera handy... which, from what I've seen of this lot, is a dead cert if they suspect you'll be doing so... Laughing

Yeah, like Paddy says, you guys can worry about it later - all you need for the kicker and punter is someone who can kick far and accurately and not much else (unless you want stunt plays), so it would be a good job for someone with a decent foot and who isn't in the starting lineup for any other position...
Marcus
Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum